Let’s be honest, I binge-watch tv shows like it’s my job. I get so wrapped up in the charactes and story lines that before I know it, it’s 3am and I haven’t seen the light of day…
So if you’re in need of some vegging out, binge watching time — here’s my compilation of great shows that are on Netflix, just waiting for you to watch.
I’ve split the shows up into 3 categories: serious, funny & somewhere in between. Personally I like to go back and forth between serious and funny shows, because I don’t like watching too many of the same kind of shows in a row.
They are listed by how many seasons Netflix currently has— so you can decide how much of a time investment you want to put into your tv watching. And in the off-chance you haven’t heard of a show, I’ve also listed the tagline from IMDB for each.
Category #1 Serious —
I’m a sucker for ‘serious’ tv shows, mostly because I like to pretend like my life is more interesting than it really is and if I watch crazy shows my life is crazy too (at least for the time that I spend watching them)…
- Lost (6 seasons) — The survivors of a plane crash are forced to work together in order to survive on a seemingly deserted tropical island.
- The Vampire Diaries (6 seasons) — A teenage girl is torn between two vampire brothers.
- Revenge (4 seasons) — An emotionally troubled young woman makes it her mission to exact revenge against the people who wronged her father.
- Bloodline (1 season) — A family of adult siblings find that their past secrets and scars are revealed when their black sheep of a brother returns home.
Category #2 Funny —
Although I love the more serious tv shows, my all-time-favorites are mostly sitcoms. I guess deep down I just want to laugh…
- The Office (9 seasons) — A mockumentary on a group of typical office workers, where the workday consists of ego clashes, inappropriate behavior, and tedium. Based on the hit BBC series.
- Bob’s Burgers (4 seasons) — Bob’s Burgers centers on the Belcher family (consists of Bob, Linda, Tina, Gene and Louise) who own a hamburger restaurant. Bob’s burgers are really delicious and appear to be better than his rivals’ but when it comes to selling burgers, his kids aren’t really helpful, as more customers head over to Jimmy Pesto’s restaurant.
- New Girl (3 seasons) — After a bad break-up, Jess, an offbeat young woman, moves into an apartment loft with three single men. Although they find her behavior very unusual, the men support her – most of the time.
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (1 season) — A woman is rescued from a doomsday cult and starts life over again in New York City.
Category #3 Somewhere in between —
If you’re not sure whether you want a serious show or a funny show this category is for you! These shows really vary based on the episode, but are pretty good at maintaining their humor even when the content gets heavy…
- Bones (10 seasons) — A forensic anthropologist and a cocky FBI agent build a team to investigate death causes. And quite often, there isn’t more to examine than rotten flesh or mere bones.
- Ally McBeal (5 seasons) — Ally McBeal is a single young lawyer looking for love and fullfillment in life. She works for a Boston Law firm with her ex-lover and his wife, a money loving boss and an annoying receptionist. With all that is going on she must contend with her feelings and her over active imagination.
So if you really loved my suggestions and you watched every single episode of every show on this list, you would have 26 days, 4 hours, 56 minutes of total watch time (according to this cool website).